Sunday 13 April 2014

We've Overdone It :(

After the really positive post-op chat with the surgeon on Monday we began to gradually increase the distance of Dizzy's walks. On Friday, instead of doing 2 or 3 walks, I decided to take him out once in the afternoon & to head back to his usual walk that he hasn't been on since before the op. It involves a 2 minute uphill stretch and then a short stroll around flat footpaths. 

My plan was to turn back as soon I noticed any difficultly or tiredness, but he coped amazingly well and we where out for about 20 minutes. It absolutely exhaust him though & he slept the rest of the day. It was lovely to see him so happy to be out & back in his favourite place!




On Saturday evening, feeling brave, I took him out again for just the one walk but for half an hour with no uphill walking at all. About 15 minutes in, I notice him start to slow down and as we headed back to the car, I could see him struggling. Although obviously not in any pain, he was stiff and favouring his poorly leg a little more than usual.

Today has been strict rest & no walks - only going outside for toilet breaks. He's not even a little bit impressed, he just doesn't want to keep still, but he's really quite lame still. I think it's probably going to be another full day of rest tomorrow, and then short walks on Tuesday. It is SO hard to know what's too much or too little. I'm terrified of getting it wrong and having to go through physiotherapy with him. Fingers crossed for a more positive week this week!

If looks could kill!


1 comment: