Tuesday 18 February 2014

The End of Week One!

Well it's one week to the day since Dizzy had his op, and I think I might finally be starting to relax...(but don't quote me on that)

He's finished his course of antibiotics and pain relief; initially I was really worried about he'd cope without the pain killers but he seems to be doing well. He is definitely much less willing to bear weight on the leg and is using it slightly less than he was prior to finishing the meds, but he is still using it.

The best and most difficult part is that now he is in such high spirits and so full of beans, keeping him still is not easy at all. He's desperate to live up to his name, and the second he's given opportunity, he starts to spin on the spot trying to catch that pesky tail. Poor boy cannot understand why I sound so panic stricken every time he tries it! He's made several attempts (quickly curtailed by us) to jump on or off the sofa and is so desperate to run. Whenever he goes out for one of his short, on lead walks around the block, he tries desperately to steer me towards our usual off lead run route. 

I am frequently being met with this sad-puppu-dog face when I have to stop him doing something fun in favour of quite time on the sofa or in his crate:



We are now fast approaching stitches out day and today we booked the appointment for Friday morning. I absolutely cannot wait - it is horrible to see the poor thing sat staring at me forlornly from under the buster collar and now when he see's it coming, he tried to hide his nose so I can't get it on. It breaks my heart that I can't explain to him why I'm being so mean! He's not been overly interested in his stitches, but does have his moments where he desperately wants to chew on his poorly leg so it's just not worth the risk of leaving the cone off when he's not supervised.

I still hate looking at his leg with those horrible black stitches in it (although the wound is still looking lovely and clean with no inflammation) and I think I will struggle no to over fuss and "baby" him for a long time yet, but I think (I hope) the worst is over!

I think that's it for now, nothing much has really happened in the past few days! Tomorrow, I'll try and remember to get a video of him walking & will update again soon.

No comments:

Post a Comment